There are many ways to prepare a delicious Thanksgiving turkey. We asked our own Chef Andrew Brackner to give us some of his most simple tips to help you prepare, plate and serve your turkey to ensure that this is your best-tasting Thanksgiving yet!
Preparation and Cooking
1. Stuff the turkey with celery, onions, carrots, rosemary, thyme, and sage. Be sure to salt and pepper the inside and outside of the cavity.
2. Heat oven to at 325°F. Use a turkey bag found at the grocery store and cook the turkey upside down for the first 2 hours. Turn the turkey over to complete the cooking process.
3. After the turkey is cooked (thigh should have a 165°F internal temperature), remove it from the bag and brush with melted butter. Replace the turkey in the oven and increase the temp to 350 for 30 minutes to achieve the golden brown color.
Plating Your Bird
1. Let the turkey rest for about 20 minutes before carving, this will allow the juices time to redistribute inside the meat. You can cover it with foil to keep the turkey warm.
2. Use a platter twice the size of the turkey to give you enough room to carve and then decorate.
When carving the turkey, first remove the entire side of the breast from the rib cage before slicing, this will make it easier to slice uniform pieces.
Garnish the platter with whole fresh cranberries, fresh herbs, kale or collard greens (not lettuce, as it will wilt from the heat), and an assortment of colorful vegetables.